Skip to content
- Phase 4 Ground Station – Digital microwave broadband communications system for space and terrestrial amateur radio use. Relies on an open source version of DVB-S2/X and polyphase filter banks. FDMA uplink at 5GHz and TDM downlink at 10GHz.
- Haifuraiya – High Flyer – Digital microwave broadband communications system for space. 6U, GEO and interplanetary. Relies on an open source version of DVB-S2/X and polyphase filter banks. FDMA uplink at 5GHz and TDM downlink at 10GHz. FPGA board, TT&C, and RF board design are all in progress.
- Regulatory – Work covers ITAR, EAR, Debris Mitigation, and more.
- RFBitBanger – Be a part of the future with a prototype kit build of the RFBitBanger project, a low-power high-frequency digital radio by Dr. Daniel Marks KW4TI. Presented by Open Research Institute, this kit is designed to produce 4 watts of power and opens up a new digital protocol called SCAMP. Volunteers enable the development of an innovative Class E amplifier based radio design. It has a display, button menu navigation, and keyboard connection for keyboard modes and keyboard-enabled navigation. This radio can be taken portable or used in a case. If you have a 3d printer available, then there is a case design available that you can print.* Digital modes only, including CW
* Key jack supports straight keys and iambic paddles
* Open Source firmware https://github.com/profdc9/RFBitBanger
- Ribbit – Ribbit, is a new digital text messaging mode for VHF/UHF simplex and repeater communication, leveraging the computing power, GPS, and touchscreen interface of modern smartphones to enhance the capabilities of a simple Handy Talkie (or mobile transceiver) without requiring a cable or additional hardware. Ribbit primary focus is on emergency communications when cellular connectivity is down.
- Opulent Voice – high bitrate voice and data protocol. Native digital uplink for Phase 4 Ground and Space. Uses OPUS 16 kbps codec as a baseline. Higher bitrates are a build-time option. Uses COBS protocol, UDP and RTP to fully integrate with a wide variety of computing endpoints. Will be built in to Mayhem, GNU Radio, published in HDL, and offered as a standalone C++ modem.
- AmbaSat Inspired Sensors – Please visit https://www.openresearch.institute/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Ambasat-Inspired-Custom-Sensors.pdf for the proposal. 10 GHz sensor beacon designed and AmbaSat main board successfully moved from 915 MHz to 70cm ham band and prototypes built. Project scheduled for a sounding rocket testing. Professional development and student involvement have been achieved for a high capability ROI from this project.
- Aqua Phage – Open Source bacteriophage work that addresses the damage to fish farming from antibiotic resistance in Tilapia. Remote Labs South leads an effort to secure funding for a scientific meeting.
- Open Cars – Research on how we can accommodate autonomous driving systems without “locking down” automobiles so that only the dealer can service them. Currently on hiatus.